Sunday, April 14, 2013

Birds on Fire and the Final Word from Levon Helm

I don't know what I ever wanted this collection of thoughts to ever become, but I find myself saying that some things I think about writing on don't fit my "theme." Honestly, until I have that discussion in my head I never really think of even having a theme. In fact I have another blog that is random ramblings that specifically have no theme--and I don't regularly update that one either.

There is a documentary coming out about a member of one of the most influential bands in the history of music--The Band--and at the end of the trailer is a brief clip of him talking about the platypus. So, I thought there--nonexistent theme be damned I am collecting three trailers of things coming out that are entirely unrelated to any semblance of theme, and sharing them.

First up is a documentary covering the life of Aldo Leopold. For those who think that name sounds familiar it is either because you have read "Thinking Like a Mountain" written by Leopold, or you are confusing it with the Hugh Jackman movie Kate and Leopold.  This is a documentary about the former. One of the most striking things is the explanation regarding how Leopold's work is still relevant because he was so far ahead of his time. Even some modern ideas are behind some of Leopold's writings from the 1930s. You can see the Green Fire trailer here.




 Secondly, a friend pointed me in the direction of something called "The Lost Bird Project." Below is the trailer for the men working on memorial pieces to be placed in honor of birds that have gone extinct in historical memory. I have written about the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon here before, and perhaps mentioned Carolina parakeets elsewhere. They have gone beyond the idea of just planting a giant statue where everyone can see it and have meticulously researched where the last documented sighting of each species was. There they plan to place the statuary. Sometimes it is in someone's backyard, sometimes out in the middle of a deserted field. I hope to see it, and I hope others will as well. There are several stages of trailer and previews available on youtube. this one sets the tone the best. 


The final installment here is perhaps my biased favorite. Ain't In it for My Health follows The Band's Levon Helm as he continues to play and live through his music through the face of depleting health. The release date for this came a year after his death. I follow his page on facebook and they still update on things Helm related. The greatest thing about that was the last night he was of this earth his wife said she was sitting by his bedside and reading all of our comments on how his music had impacted us in positive ways. I hope that it is true. She said he was happy to hear it, and died peacefully in his sleep. Aware of the huge outreach his life had. So, I leave you with some wise words from Levon about the "baddest little bastards in Australia."



If you would like to see that final one in higher def than blogspot will manage with any speed,  follow this link. 

I tried for a few hours to upload videos one and two, but sadly I have had to result in simply including the links. No matter the file size, or type the host just could not process the videos, even after an hour or so for each attempt. 

So I will compensate by including one of my favorite songs from The Band. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment